Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Athletes Supporting Athletes


            Nothing is more helpful in the injury rehab process than having the support and encouragement of those around you.  One of the most important things that I have noticed with my personal experience is how there is a sense of comradery built between fellow injured athletes.   Day in and day out, I am surrounded by athletes in the training room who are all there for the very same purpose that I am.  We are all there to get healthy and back to playing the sport we love.  This shared passion is what brings us together and forms a support system among athletes.  We all know how each other is feeling and can relate to what each other are going through.  Having this insight allows us to motivate and encourage each other to be successful and keep working hard through the tough times.
            I find myself walking around campus and I will run into a fellow student athlete who is recovering from an injury.  We will stop and talk to see how each other are doing as well as exchange a few positive words of encouragement.  I enjoy the opportunity to talk with other athletes because they know exactly what I am going through, whereas some people don’t quite understand.  Bonds, that may not have been created if it weren’t for the shared trait of having an injury, are formed among these athletes.  These bonds can have more of an effect on the injury recovery process than you may realize.
            One of the most rewarding aspects of being apart of this injured athlete support system is seeing people recovery from their injury and get back on the playing field.  Seeing other athletes make a full recovery inspires me to keep pushing forward because it just shows that I can be there someday too.  Through all the ups and down that are experienced with the rehab process, athletes always stick together and help each other out.  Many tasks are made easier with the help of other people; let your recovery from your injury be one of those.  Don’t go through it all alone because there are people out there who truly care and are eager to support you and see you succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment